I’m not vegan but, man, I love a good vegan “cheese” sauce. Here’s why: you control the flavors, consistency, and can go so many directions with it! I like my sauces pretty flavorful, a little spicy, and relatively thick (don’t you just love when the sauce sticks perfectly between the ridges of a rotini?)
There are a few things that make this sauce great:
- Cashews- you can use walnuts or almonds, but the consistency won’t be quite as smooth
- Vinegar- this provides a great acidity for the sauce, you could also use lemon juice!
- Spices- the spices in this sauce give it the great flavor and make it so versatile! Want an Asian-inspired version? Omit the turmeric and add some soy sauce! Missing that cheese-powered flavor? Omit the mustard and add nutritional yeast! The options go as far as your imagination (and your stomach) takes you.
I’m all about recipe substitutions and using what you have on hand- so if you try something else please comment below and let me know how it was!
This creamy vegan cheese sauce is a versatile sauce that can be used on so many dishes! Switch up the spices to change your flavor profile according to what you're cooking and what you have on hand!
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 garlic clove peeled
- 3/4 cup unsweetend dairy free milk
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth
Add milk to thin it out or use less for a thicker sauce